This Georgetown rowhouse was built in 1905 and originally had a mansard roof. The basic plan was a typical Washington rowhouse with two front rooms in the main block and a room in the dogleg, mirroring the neighbors. When purchased, the layout of rooms in the house had a dining room in the front, followed by an unworkable kitchen and living room at the rear, the back wall of which included a fireplace and two small wood and glass doors. On the second floor, the primary bedroom occupied the entire front of the house followed by three very tiny rooms and two baths. The stair and hallway circulation hugged the entry side of the house.
The renovation was thorough. The main floor front room was made into a living room/library, opening through pocket doors to the dining room, formerly the kitchen, and now with a rediscovered fireplace. The dogleg room is now a kitchen and family room, with the back wall opened completely by a bank of French doors. The former primary bedroom was turned into a guest room, with a connecting bath to a second bedroom. Carved from the original front bedroom is now an office. The second-floor dogleg is now the primary suite, away from the noise of busy Q Street.
An old Georgetown townhouse made new for modern living.
Interior Designer: BVA
Contractor: Falcon Construction
Photographer: Anice Hoachlander/StudioHDP